Tuesday, June 9, 2009

If I die...

In our discussion of Francis Chan's book Crazy Love, we talked about living each day as it was your last. A hard concept for most people, especially people as young as me. I don't really want to think about today being my last day here on earth. There are so many things I can't wait to do! But then our conversation turned to "What would you like to be remembered by?"

"His work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." 1 Corinthians 3:13-15
I certainly don't want all the things I focused my time on to be burnt by the fire. I want to focus time on things that will matter in eternity. At the age of 19, I have a decision to make. Do I want to be known for the things I have achieved in my life (which is how a lot of people talk about me right now) or do I want to be known for how I loved others, or served, or gave of my time? After much thought (believe it or not, it was a hard decision) I've decided I'd like to be known for loving Jesus with everything in me. My biggest dream is for me to walk into a room and radiate Christ so much, that without speaking, people identify that I had "been with Jesus". Now this will take a lot of work. It's a different way of thinking. I'm driven by achievements. But Christ has called me to love him and seek after His ways.
By the time I go to meet Jesus and worship at his feet, I want people to say...
"Mandy, that girl who loved Jesus."
"Mandy, that one girl who always had time to sit and listen."
"Mandy, is that the girl who gave all she was? and all she had?"
I want people to know I love Jesus by my actions, not by what I speak.
What about you? What do you want to be known for? Are you driven by achievements?

No comments: