Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day 2

Day 2...this post shouldn't be as long, at least I don't plan on it being!

I woke up with the sunrise every morning at precisely 6:22 am (8:22 our time, so about normal for me). I got up, and started a book called Be Still My Soul. It's crazy how God places things in our life and just the right time. The chapter was about God giving you only what you can handle and to lean on Him for the rest; how we are created to be servants and obedient, even when we might not want to follow the leadership. PERFECT!! The sun came over the mountain right as I finished the chapter...again PERFECT!! I love watching sunrises almost as much as I love rain showers. :) By then it was about 7:30 and everyone had pretty much woken up. We had yummy pancakes for breakfast, and hit the rest of the painting hard (and when I mean hard, I mean we painted from 9:30 until 1:30...and finished EVERYTHING). I was put on the Mac-n-Cheese wall again since I was still covered in paint from the day before. Caroline joins me and decides to do the detailed work on the edges, so I grabbed the roller, and painted the Mac-n-Cheese walls AGAIN. We finished right about lunch time (cleaning up oil-based paint...not so much fun). Lance and Paco brought back so AMAZING mangoes, cantaloupe, and other fruit we loved. I ate a whole plate of cantaloupes BY MYSELF!!!! We all shoved down lunch, part from hunger and part from rush. After lunch we only had one wall left so most people took showers so we could leave as soon as the rest of us finished the wall. We primed an outside wall, took a break, and went after the Mac-n-Cheese orange. I had a little bit more painting to do on my walls that needed a ladder, so I left the Mac-n-Cheese for others and attacked my walls. :) Eventually everyone had showered, except for Chris and I (we couldn't stop painting...we attended high school together...). Once we finally finished, we decided to give in and shower, only to find Chihuahua turns off their water (for the ENTIRE city around 1...) so we didn't get to shower. Covered in paint, we changed clothes and put on our best attitude and piled in the van to do some sightseeing/shopping (with the 5 boys...thanks Chris for watching them). We saw a beautiful church and the governor's office building. We shopped in lotsa stores (I mainly stuck with the shoes) and I almost broke down and bought a pair of baby blue cowboy boots. Had my suitcase not been so packed I would have taken them in an instant. We headed back to the orphanage at 5:30, but at Lori's request took a detour to a mountain top so we could see the whole city!! Talk about beautiful. I didn't get any pics, but as soon as I get some, I'll post them. The wind was blowing so hard, we couldn't stay for very long. We ventured back to the orphanage for some dinner and prepared for the carnival! I think we (the ladies and Deutsch) were more excited. We had coloring, face painting, bracelet making, tattooing, and so much more. We all got rope bracelets that we can't take off without cutting. I had a blast! That ended around 11 when the boys all went to bed. But we (Chris, Lori, Caroline, Hannah, Laurel, and me) stayed up until about 2:30 LAUGHING!!! Tune in tomorrow for our hike down into Basaseachi Falls!!

2 comments:

Chick4Christ said...

wow, this all sounds soo amazing!! gosh, now i'm really regretting not going!! ugh. oh well. i'm so glad you had fun :) cant wait to hear more!

Laurel! said...

good times : ) You should totally post the quote list!