Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day 3

Again, I woke up with the sun at 6:22 and took a quick shower (there was finally water pressure, but no hot water...) and packed my bag. We left the orphanage around 9 or so to travel to the BEAUTIFUL Basaseachi Falls. It was a 4 hour drive and so most of us fell asleep for a little while, if not for all of it. The waterfall was (of course) in the mountains, so to get there we went on one of those "side of the mountain" curvy roads. Now, if you had any idea how nervous I am when other people drive me around, especially if you're within inches of sliding off the mountain, you can only imagine how tense I was. I tried not to watch, but then my "friend" kept telling me how close we were to the edge or how close we would be to another car, so I had to watch, because I don't trust this "friend." I finally got to a spot where I was comfortable in the seat (I needed to get some sleep) and right about the time I would have fallen asleep, this "friend" pretends to push me off the seat, but caught my hand at the last second. I was a little mad...but he decided to be kind for about an hour and I was almost asleep, yet again, and we hit ANOTHER bump in the road, and my eye hit my "friend's" shoulder (I'm really surprised I didn't get a black eye!!!) We finally made it safely to Basaseachi and we ran to quickly to see the waterfall.
We found some spots where we could camp in the basin, so we hustled back to the van to pack our backpacks to begin the hike to the basin. (Keep in mind, this is the 11th largest fall in the world...).

The hike down took about 45 minutes. I was exhausted by the end, but the journey gave me the chance to get to know Mel and grow my friendship with Laurel. We found a spot to set up 3 tents, but we needed 3 more spots. So Chris and Paco gave up their spot for Hannah and I. They slept right below us and the other adults found spots.

We then had about and hour of daylight left (or 30 min of daylight and 30 min of twilight) to collect firewood and get everything ready for the night. I went with Lance, Christopher, and Mel to purify water, which was an experience in itself. We got together that night and had some leadership discussion. Then right as it ended the moon rose and lit up the canyon. BEAUTIFUL!!! As the sun went down, the basin cooled to about 40 with wind chill around 35. COLD!!!!! We ended our "fellowshipping" and got some much needed shut eye.

Thanks for reading I know they're long, but our days were packed full!!!

3 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Wow! Camping and backpacking!! Was this your first time? And did you stay warm?

Mandy said...

Yes my first time. The first night I was fairly warm, I only woke up once, but the second night I woke up freezing (I'm going to explain in the next post). :)

Chick4Christ said...

how fun! :)