Saturday, May 3, 2008

Lessons Learned from Toy Story

I was babysitting last night for a new family and we watched Toy Story (1&2). And as I watched, I picked up a few lessons I learned from Woody and Buzz and the gang:

1. Jealousy is NEVER good.
2. Sacrificing old friends for "new, cool" friends generally isn't a wise thing (sing with me "Make new friends, and keep the old..." I don't know the rest...) Like my parents say...don't burn bridges
3. Embrace who you are to your Owner and don't let other "toys" convince you that you were worth more than your Owner knew.
4. Sacrifice always comes with love.

If you don't know the story, I suggest you go rent them both. I'll do a quick summary of the situations of the lessons, but I don't want to make it too long.

1-When Andy gets Buzz, Woody gets jealous. He was always the favorite, but now he lives under the bed instead of on it. His jealousy goes so far that he "pushes" Buzz out the bedroom window.

2-The other toys fall for Buzz's newness and immediately turn their back on Woody. They keep the two from getting home and almost get Buzz blown up by Sid, simply because they had traded in their trust of Woody for Buzz.

3-In the 2nd movie, Woody is stolen and is sold to a museum in Japan. He came from a TV series and his "co-stars" convinced him, Andy wouldn't love him forever and he should give up and sell himself. BUT in the end, Woody remembers Andy will always love him and returns with his new friends.

4-Buzz risks his life to rescue Woody all because Woody once risked his.

What lessons have you had to learn. Just in the last few months, I've experience each of these at least once. What other movies have you learned from?

4 comments:

Taylor Hale said...

I never thought of it that way! Of couse, I also haven't sat through either Toy Story movies all the way through. I think I should try!

Mandy said...

Go for it! These were the movies I grew up with--and Lion King :)

Nicole Knox said...

I love when we learn from what are kids are watching!

Robin Meadows said...

I love it that you are finding life lessons in everyday things...I remember (a million years ago) leaving Star Wars (yes, we saw it in the theater) and talking about the spiritual applications. Same with "Rocky - Eye of the Tiger".

Keep teaching us Mandy!